The month of March means one thing for me: McDonald’s Shamrock Shakes. The cool taste, the mint, the whipped cream. Pure heaven in a 22 oz container. What if I told you that you can create the memorable taste of a Shamrock Shake in your own kitchen without the added shake to your derriere? Introducing my Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie.
I remember the first time I enjoyed a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake. It was love at first sip. I was 8-years-old at the time, and my grandma treated my sister and me to this heavenly green beverage. Nothing beat that cool mint taste after enjoying salty McDonald’s fries. Since that time, I turned into one of those people who:
- Stalks websites indicating when Shamrock Shakes are available in certain regions
- Squeals in delight when I see the first Facebook Post on Shamrock Shakes
- Declares that part of my Irish heritage is the Shamrock Shake
- Demands that a driver make a U-turn in horrible traffic so I can get a Shamrock Shake
My first meal out of the house after giving birth to my daughter was a Shamrock Shake.
Since changing my life for the healthier, sadly, Shamrock Shakes are on the hardly ever list of foods. But who is to say I need to miss out on the fun! Green smoothies have been a game changer for my healthy living. I may be healthy, but I am still a person who loves wonderful tasty foods. So I challenge myself to create healthier versions of my favorite foods. And today that is my Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie.
What makes Shamrock Shakes delightful is the combo of ice cream to mint. In creating my Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie I needed something with the chill, sweetness, and magic of ice cream, but with good nutritional value and without the calories. The result — a frozen banana.
If you have never experienced a frozen banana, you are missing out on something that is simply amazing. Since you freeze bananas when they are very ripe, they are extra sweet when you pull them out of the freezer to eat them. There is always an argument in my house over who gets to enjoy the last frozen banana.
Why green smoothies? In my book it is easier to drink your nutrients than to sit and eat all of these foods. Green smoothies are loaded with Superfoods which contain maximum nutrients for health benefits. And in the case of this Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie don’t discount mint. Mint helps with digestion. My Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie recipe is vegan, gluten free, and paleo. Something for everyone!!
Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie Recipe
Total Time to Prepare: Less than 5 Minutes (I’ve waiting in Drive Thru Lines Longer than That)
– 1 Frozen Banana (Medium Size)
– 1/4 cup Frozen Pineapple
– 1 TBS of Vanilla
– 1-2 cups of your favorite green (I go with Kale or Spinach)
– 4 fresh mint leaves
– 1 TBS Chia or Flax Seeds
– 1-2 cups of almond milk (or other non-dairy milk — you can make this with milk if that makes you happy)
– Add all ingredients to your blender. I tend to put liquids in last. Note if you do not have a high powered blender, you will need to soften the banana first (the microwave does wonders to help) otherwise your risk damage to your blender blade.
– Enjoy your Shamrock Shake Green Smoothie.